AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Is my dad lying to me?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

rcsfarms
Posted 11/17/2018 07:05 (#7110408 - in reply to #7110357)
Subject: RE: Is my dad lying to me?

My parents farmed through the 70’s and accumulated a fair amount of debt, in 1980 my parents started going south with a neighbor and a couple combines to help supplement the farm debt. In 84 I was ready to start my junior year in high school and they offered to help make the down payment on a 79 mod combine and let me become part of the business. By then we were up to 5 combines and the partnership with the neighbor was done and we had our own family operation. I spent the next 10 years living from promise to promise and being micro managed in every part of the operation. All I ever heard was how we never made any money and yet all the mortgages from the 70’s were paid off, they bought and paid for an additional 240 acres of farmland, built a 60’X80’ heated shop, an IROC Z 28 sports car and spent 70K restoring a super cub airplane.. by 94 we were running 8 combines and generating over a million dollars/year in gross revenue when a “suitcase farmer” from MN shafted us for $76,000 and suddenly we were out of business. (In the end several years later I found out this wasn’t the case at all it was all about control). I had to start over and wasn’t even able to keep my pickup and ended up living in a basement apartment. And yet my parents never had to sell any of the assets they purchased and paid for with the harvesting revenue. So I don’t have a problem with someone asking questions about the family farm/business especially if they grew up with it and helped build it.

Edited by rcsfarms 11/17/2018 17:22
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)