AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Is my dad lying to me?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

IowaCenturyFarm
Posted 11/17/2018 06:09 (#7110327 - in reply to #7109714)
Subject: RE: Is my dad lying to me?

I think your question is worded in a way that comes across wrong, but I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt.

I think the general reaction here is telling. Most of the older guys are saying it’s none of your business. Unfortunately, many of these same farmers treat their own kids the same way. For some reason money is a completely taboo subject even among immediate family. Their kids grow up thinking they’re poor, but can readily find info on salaries for various careers through the internet, their guidance counselor, etc. Guys like your dad are knocking down at least a couple hundred grand a year. Even when they weren’t, they were building serious equity every year that doesn’t translate to new pickups and houses in the short term but translates to long term financial security that can span generations.

But dad doesn’t want you or anybody else to know all that, so he never explains it to you. So you find a stable job in accounting or whatever that affords a comfortable lifestyle and you are content with that. Meanwhile dad keeps farming, all the while wishing one of his kids had gotten involved. Then years later when he retires at 85 and rents it out to the BTO down the road - about the time you are nearing traditional retirement age and it’s way too late to get started - he can lament to all his buddies at the coffee shop that you never took an interest in farming and will probably sell it all when he dies.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)