AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Is my dad lying to me?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Black Gold Farmer
Posted 11/16/2018 18:14 (#7109714)
Subject: Is my dad lying to me?

Ames
Before I start, I understand every farm operation is 100 percent different from even the neighbors down the road. I know that there are tons of variables and nobody will be able to give me a exact estimate but I'm hoping some of you guys who have been farming for decades can help me out.

My dad farms and owns 1,100 acres, all paid for. Hasn't had a payment in probably 10 years at least. He uses older equipment that is also all paid for. He does minimum tillage, chisels a little bit, aerways some, does a lot of no till. Roughly 700 acres of corn and 400 acres of beans a year. I don't want to say where I live but like my username says, its very good soil. Flat black and square. All of our ground is patterned tiled within the last 10 years.

What I'm getting at is, all he ever says is that hes "barely getting by." I think he's joking and doesn't want me to know just how much money he has/makes. Can anyone help me out as to what a ballpark figure would be he's making per acre? If there are any other variables you want to know I can try my best to answer them without telling you where I am from.

He doesn't buy new equipment because he says he "can't afford it." I think its just him not wanting to spend money, and the stuff he has he gets by with just fine. And there is no problem with that. I just don't understand how guys down the road who cash rent 1,000 acres can buy new stuff every couple years. I understand they are probably leasing them and will always have payments, but they also have brand new trucks every year, huge mansion houses, go on trips, etc. Dad doesn't do any of that. Never wants to spend any money. Is he really just "getting by" or does he have a stash of cash somewhere?

Edited by Black Gold Farmer 11/16/2018 20:20
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)