AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Understanding depression
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

wannabe2
Posted 9/17/2016 10:21 (#5533773 - in reply to #5533576)
Subject: RE: Understanding depression

NW Montana

I will try to clarify ,,,,,

I am tired of Christians of various denominations, sects, etc,,, saying that faith is a cure for depression. That all you need is a closer relationship with God.

That is like saying to a person that has cancer all you need is faith and a closer walk with God and you will be cured. 

This attitude makes Christians look foolish as clinical depression is a debilitating disease like cancer or heart disease. I have had all three in our family and the depression has done the most damage to the family as a whole.

Yes faith can help a person through depression in the same way it can help in dealing with other hardships. ITS NOT THE CURE.

Just speaking from my own life experiences.

People that struggle with depression need professional help..Start with your MD for a referral to a Psychiatrist who can do a proper evaluation and prescribe the right therapist and or medication.

I have been struggling with ADHD and depression my entire life.

As far as your link I have seen many people find temporary relief from depression in their come to Jesus moment [ myself included] only to backslide a year or two later when the exuberance wears off.  

A previous poster  mentioned there is a huge difference between depression that is event driven and that caused by chemical imbalance.

Keep in mind that a person with clinical depression can appear to be depressed from an event in there life.

To expect healing from God for clinical depression is no different that expecting Him to heal a broken leg or MS. They are all medical conditions that require professional treatment.

The OP was asking for thoughts from people who struggle with clinical depression not glib remarks from those wanting to promote their faith.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)