AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

college as an investment
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

steelguitar
Posted 5/22/2015 12:14 (#4585232 - in reply to #4585158)
Subject: RE: college as an investment

Dougherty, IA
Chris - 5/22/2015 11:00

Just as a side note, one of my kids spent about $200 during the year for outside activities.  Pizza, ice cream a show or something.  When the budget was made for college the budget was, books, room, board, tuition.  A friend laughed and said that was ridiculous and the actual cost would be much higher. As I said the kid spent only $200 above those costs.  

Said kid now has an excellent job and no debt. 

How did said kid get back and forth to school? I would have used $200 in gas money in just a few trips home. Throw in a broken tail light that needs fixed, a flat tire, new windshield wipers, windshield wiper fluid too. $200 could have easily been spent on toothpaste, soap, and deodorant. Did said kid get you a Christmas gift or birthday gift? New socks or shoes? I just don't see how anyone could live on $200 for an entire school year.. I probably spent $1,000-$2,000 per semester in school on living expenses above and beyond the minimum things required and I was on the low end of what people were spending.

I also worked quite a bit and probably made about $5,000 per semester, plus a good chunk over the summer.

I agree with you in principal, college kids need to live like college kids, but student loans allow them to live a lifestyle much higher than they can afford. Then that trickles over to the rest of their life and they have payments on everything they ever own.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)