AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Thinking about starting a dairy
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

speedydutch17
Posted 1/29/2015 04:47 (#4346433 - in reply to #4346091)
Subject: RE: Thinking about starting a dairy

kuna, Id
All right, I hate typing but got to reply to this one. An opinion from a 36 yr old dairy farmer who has survived 15 yrs in the business.

THERE ARE ONLY THREE VIABLE OPTIONS TO ENTER INTO THE DAIRY BUSINESS AND SUCCEED.

1. Be born into it.
2. Get married into it.
3. Find a nice middle aged dairyman who is childless and is looking towards retirement and ask him to adopt you.

If you are able to qualify for any one of the options stated above then that may just get you the toehold to get started. Your grit and determination, smarts, a little luck, and a lot of hard work will decide if you get to stay in the business.

ALL OTHER OPTIONS ARE RISKY AT BEST.

However, if you do go find some crazy lender to give you the pile of cash to start up ( I would run from that guy) I would take the advise from the posters above and just buy cows, rent a facility..... reasonably, and try to build some equity. It is important to remember that quite often it is easier to get into debt than out of it and debt is what will ruin you if you let it get out of line. And also remember that EVERY job that is on the dairy is a job that you are willing to do when necessary... within ability of course... i.e. milking and such. There are no guarantees in business, but given an opportunity it could be what you make of it.

Good luck,
Ted

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)