AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Why is beef so much more popular than lamb?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

denice.r
Posted 12/21/2014 06:01 (#4254283 - in reply to #4254082)
Subject: RE: Why is beef so much more popular than lamb?

south east Indiana
I think the answer has several layers. Lamb vs mutton in stores can not be identified in a package. There is no labeling as to age and mutton is a whole different ball game than eating lamb. Most people did not grow up eating lamb in this country. Part of that is cultural and you are correct many people just steer clear because they are unsure how to cook it. I am sure the price has been an issue as well. Honestly the lamb raised in America is SO varried in breed and that affects the taste also. Other countries lamb their is not so much breed variety and the product is more consistent. American lamb supply is more seasonal therefore a consistent supply for the commercial market is difficult.
The infastucture for the sheep industry is not great and seems to be shrinking as well. American lamb producers can not meet the demand for lamb and so it is imported, so I am told.
I think it tough to mess up lamb on a grill myself. Just dont cook it past med and it is good.
I think the sheep/cattle range wars had a big impact on people opinion of sheep and raising sheep and the people who did.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)