AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What should I do...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

caseihforever
Posted 5/1/2016 20:36 (#5276668)
Subject: What should I do...

Wisconsin
I will try to be open and honest here. First off thank you for reading this as it could get long.

I farm (dairy (125 milking) cash crops and some sweet corn total about 650ish acres) with my dad and brother. I like what I do but am really starting to wonder why I'm here. We expanded in 2009 and built the milking parlor in 2012.

I am tired of my dad and brother attitude toward me. There are more than I can mention here but I'll share a few. We used to start the day at 530am. Then my brother started showing up at 540 (he lives on the dairy but I was like ok.) the cows were already in the parlor/holding area then it was 545 then 550. After awhile I got sick of this and said something to him, he turned around and told dad I said something. He came and chewed me out for saying something. He said it's not a big deal, it's none of your business when he gets in, mind your own business. I'm like ok live with it.

When brother (who is the cow man) wants something done a certain way I listen do it how he wants and go on. If the moisture changes in the feed I thought I should say something, guess not, when I said something to him he said nothing but said something to dad and he again said mind your own business. I was like I'm just trying to help...
But when I want something done both will say to me. Are you doing the job? My response no, the don't worry about it. I'm referring to chopping corn stalks after the combine in this case. I find it pays to chop into them the opposite of the combine. When I go help my buddie out I do it as he asks. I offered to switch with my brother but he didn't want to. I was chisel plowing. It just seems I need to do it their way but they don't have to return the act. I thought ok, I'll treat them the same way then. Dad to me to stop being a selfish S O B.
I do like things done right and not half assed. I like to keep the equipment clean and looking nice so I tend to care and take pride in my work. Oh and no one else cares to pick rocks but want to drive.

Last one here and this one bother me the most.
My brother met a girl, got engaged, and are now living together.
Yesterday things went south fast we had stuff we wanted dome before it rained. We left for lunch and came back and he was still in house. I said to dad let get stuff I wanted done, done while he's in the house. He says can't you be patient and wait. He rather sit on the concrete block then move the fee pieces of equipment before moving cattle. Dad says brother is now on different time schedule from us. Other day I was doing field work and brother was mowing his lawn. I said something to dad that I'm going to go home and mow my lawn during milking if he gets to do his while I'm working. That pissed dad off and he blew a gasket. Why can he do his during the "workday" and I have to do mine after work. Dad says he's starting a life with gf and should be able to have evening to himself. I said I'm not?!?! I want my evenings too. I'd like to find someone and start a family too (that's another subject) he told me it doesn't look like I'm trying and the work needs to be done. Another thing I don't like and I think it's just a repeat thing is wanting off. Friday night brother wanted off, told dad but said nothing to me all day (which isn't uncommon) until 445 when he wanted to know when I was getting back with sprayer. I have tried talking to dad about this too but it falls on deaf ears.

I don't think I'm a hard person to work with, old boss says when are you coming back (as a joke) and thinking of taking him up on it
Should I through in the towel and move on?
Anyone ever been in a similar situation?
I'm not a cow person. I like cropping spraying combining and beef cattle. I joined with my family to have a family farm and regret doing so.
Any input would be great and I'm so sorry it got long
Bill

Edited by caseihforever 5/1/2016 20:48
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)