AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

do I need MCT oil for Keto diet?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John Burns
Posted 1/8/2021 20:45 (#8735081 - in reply to #8734487)
Subject: RE: do I need MCT oil for Keto diet?

Pittsburg, Kansas
There are differing opinions on some of this. But his idea is not really new, just one of the various hypothesis floating around. I think it makes a lot of sense. Wife and I do not try to maintain any specific fat/protein ratio. We just eat what we like in the way of meat and eggs.

One line of thinking is the body will be hungry untill certain nutrient requirements are met. The idea goes if you are short on protein you might over eat fat getting enough protein if you eat too high fat diet. On the other hand if you are lacking energy you might over eat protein seeking out enough fat. I don't know if that is true or not.

One doctor said, only half jokingly, that if you look at the buffet table and see the sweets and are not tempted but "that stick of butter looks pretty good", you probably are fat adapted. Medical doctor and researcher Steve Phinney.

For me it took two or three weeks to reach what I would call first stage of fat adaption. It was where the carb cravings were going away and the protein, fat and green vegetables were completely satisfying. Then it took me probably six months or a little longer to become fully fat adpted. I'll explain. When I switched diets within a short period my energy level went up along with a bunch of health benefits which i have documented in the past here on KT. That is overall energy in a 24 hour period. But I would sometimes hit a "wall" and feel drained of energy for maybe an hour or two. Like mid-morning when I would normally reach for that granola bar of bag of potato chips to "get me to lunch". But I would resist and work on through it and it would pass and I would make it to lunch. After about six months, not like a switch but more like a transition, that went away. I don't get that any more. That is being fat adapted. You just don't get those periods where you feel like you have to have that candy bar or something to pick you up like what fast carbs do.

If I recall correctly from what Tim Noakes says (sports doctor and professional runner in earlier days and trainer now retired) when an athelete goes low carb it may take up to three months for their performance to get back to where they were with carb loading. And six to nine months till they are exceeding their perrformance on carbs. I may have the times not exactly right, but that is the idea. So to become fully fat adapted, it takes a while. But a few weeks will usually get a person feeling better and past the cravings for carbs.

I don't think a person falls out of fat adaptation quick at all. Once the bodys machinery is geared up to burn fat I think it would take quite a while to wreck that condition again. Now as far as being in ketosis and burning fat, one high carb meal will kick you out. That is not necessarily a bad thing depending on what a persons goals are and if they have a bunch of fat to lose or not. Being in ketosis has a lot of health benefits besides just fat loss. A person who is metabolically healthy can go in and out of ketosis easily. A person who is insulin resistant getting kicked out of ketosis might take a few days to get back in. Insulin resistance causes a lot of metabolic problems and stifles metabolic flexibility. Being metabolically flexible in the fuel a person can easily utilize is the goal to good health. It is the way our body should work.

I personally do not get hung up on fat to protein ratios. Dr Benjamin Bikman, insulin researcher, has a wonderful presentation covering a metabolic study covering fat and protein. What was found that excess protein consumed in a high carb diet added to the insulin spike that the carbohydrates caused. But in the situation of a low carbohydrate diet extra protein hardly budged the insulin needle up. I will find that video and link it. Bikman says don't fear protein. At least in the situation of a low carb diet.

In nature protein and fat is almost always found together. Carbohydrates and protein are foung together. But the combination of fat, protein AND carbohydrate is almost never found together. Breast milk is one exception. What is breast milk needed to do? Grow a baby as fast as possible. Combine the three to fatten humans up. Avoid the three together to not fatten up. Our highly processed foods that are so popular today usually combine all three. Bad combination unless you need to put on weight.

John

Edited by John Burns 1/8/2021 21:21
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)