AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

do I need MCT oil for Keto diet?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John Burns
Posted 1/8/2021 10:40 (#8733605 - in reply to #8733281)
Subject: gall bladder

Pittsburg, Kansas
What I have heard (will try to find the video) is ............... let me start from the beginning.

According to this doctor - the gall bladder needs exercised to maintain its health. The way it is exercised is when we eat something fatty the gall bladder takes it load of bile it has been storing from the liver and squirts it out to help digestion. Think about dish soap and how the soap breaks down fat into smaller droplets so the dishes wash better.

So what happens if a person has been on a "low fat" diet for a long time? The bladder does not get regular exercise and the bile just kind of trickles out as it is made (more like if a person has had their gall bladder removed). This lets it get kind of sludgy and potentially forms stones.

So if a person has been eating low fat for a long time then suddenly has a high fat meal, the bladder tries to do its job but because of lack of exercise does not work well. Maybe even had developed stones. So it can become painful in its execution. Further it may do a poor job of squirting out the bile. So the high fat meal may cause diareha or stomach upset because of the low bile for the amount of fat eaten.

That is the explanation as I understand it. The solution as I understand it is for a person to work their way up to eating higher amounts of fat. Just watched a video that recomended when starting keto lean towards more protein/fat then over a month increase the fat portion.

The gall bladder should, if not in too bad of shape or too large of stones, should heal itself over time.

Not medical advice, just what I have learned from on line doctors. So take it for what it is worth.

My wife had her gall bladder removed many years ago. She has to be a little more careful about eating large amounts of fat all at once. It generally does not give her problems, but too much fat at once can make her uncomforatble. Not having a gall bladder means bile is delivered more like it is being produced in the liver at a more constant rate rather than storing up and a bolus proviced during fatty meals. I'll take some coconut oil and mct oil in my coffe in the morning. She usually does not or if she does a very small amount.

Hope that makes sense.

John

Edited by John Burns 1/8/2021 10:43
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)