AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Building hog barns/cattle in 2021 bad idea???
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Oliver1
Posted 9/4/2020 21:30 (#8476707 - in reply to #8475631)
Subject: RE: Building hog barns/cattle in 2021 bad idea???

Alton, Ia
Jdsfarms - 9/4/2020 08:37

Oliver1 - 9/4/2020 09:22

I'll let others address the finer points of hog chores right now. My point is I would be leery doing it in 2021. The hog industry was on a huge expansion run, pre commie cough we were producing 11% more pork YOY. Unsustainable. A train wreck. Add in the shutdowns and backups, and it was a train carrying a nuclear bomb train wreck. Lots of bets being placed on China imports, thanks to ASF, that have not materialized. Now China is on path to rebuild their hog industry, AND they have built infrastructure on other continents, like South America, and Africa to ensure a captive supply.

So we may have an over capacity problem for awhile. If you are going in now, under contract, you better have deep pockets in case your hog owner "has issues". If you are going to own the little bastards, you better have really deep pockets. It's going to be a rough ride for a couple years. IMHO. This post and a buck gets you one donut at Casey's nothing more.

I would pursue the cattle path since you already have facilities. Less exposure there.

Wow that’s very eye opening! Here in MN you can’t drive a few miles without seeing a hog barn. Good friend built a barn a year ago. He said it was $1.3 all said and done.l which i figured around a million but If a producer left it empty you’d be in trouble very fast. That’s great information and thank you for taking the time to write that.

I'm not saying to never build a hog barn, every day there are more mouths on this planet, and every day developing countries get more wealth, and the first thing they buy is meat protein, so there is a future, and there will be growth. But the hog industry went thru aggressive expansion for a couple of years, with maybe not too realistic of expectations, and now we are at least in a period of flat numbers, and may a reduction depending how many sow units get demolished. That's a risky place to be when you have the highest debt load in the neighborhood. But someday those numbers will be back, I just don't think it will be in 2021, or maybe even 2022 for that matter. Just do your homework first, and good luck.

Edited by Oliver1 9/5/2020 02:44
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)