AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Building hog barns/cattle in 2021 bad idea???
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jdsfarms
Posted 9/4/2020 08:24 (#8475499)
Subject: Building hog barns/cattle in 2021 bad idea???

Been kicking around the idea of building a few hog barns. We’ve had hogs in the past but those barns are no more. Im looking for something to allow myself a wage and be able to be home to help on the family farm and take it over when my dad is ready to be done. I need to be around to learn but the money isn’t there to be able to do that. Im around during harvest and i do all of the planting/spraying now but it’s not enough. Can a guy pull a wage off a barn if we built a few 2400hd barns again now days? I realize the money invested and commitment. I have young kids as well and figured those barns be there for them and hopefully paid or close to it by the time they need a steady income to help me. Just looking for some inputs as i no it may seem good on paper but i really want hear from the guys who are doing it now.

Also have a 600-800 head cattle feed lot sitting empty. It needs fixing back up. scale needs work. New shute, gates waters etc. But its there. We have a lot of friends that work with cattle so that be another option along with the hog barns. I’ve hauled cattle and pigs so if the option was there to truck some my self that might open up more doors as well. I truck over the road now so just weighing my options to be able to get home and do my part without starving my family and making very big mistakes.

Thank you for all your inputs and thoughts!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)