AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Building hog barns/cattle in 2021 bad idea???
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

MAVERICK90
Posted 9/4/2020 12:12 (#8475851 - in reply to #8475499)
Subject: RE: Building hog barns/cattle in 2021 bad idea???

NW Ohio
Agtalk is not the place to inquire about putting up a contract hog barn as they aren't NAT approved. But, I have seen several very successful operations that have either been started with contract livestock or have integrated it somehow into what they do. Contract hog barns are entirely dependent on who the contract is with and what kind of competition is in your area for new buildings. Where I am located, i could make 3 phone calls and have 4 contracts in a few days, so the hog company doesn't try to jerk us around too much. As far as loading goes, it takes about 45 minutes with 3-4 guys, and that includes sorting while loading so it's not too big of a deal and for one 2400 head building you'll send out about 15 loads/turn. Pressure washing does suck, but if you don't want to do it just hire it out.

As far as cattle goes, there is work there also and not everything is sunshine and rainbows either, so please take that into account as well. At the end of the day its about your operation and what is best for you. If I was you though, I would try to utilize the existing cattle facilities before sinking the capital into a new building of any kind.

Edited by MAVERICK90 9/4/2020 12:25
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)