AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Vertical mixer economics
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

IL cow man
Posted 3/15/2020 18:01 (#8107677 - in reply to #8107166)
Subject: RE: Vertical mixer economics

Buffalo IL
I really wasn't trying to start an argument. It's not the mixer that is expensive alone. It takes 2 tractors to operate it. One to load and one to operate it. Don't forget the cost of the tractor to replace or repair it. My grazing time was poor this year with slow cold wet start and no rain through the second half of June and all of July. I do feed hay, do feed silage, and fed way too long this winter. It cost me 16.50 hour to trade one 110 hp tractor every three years with 1700-1800 hours and I was paying my help $13 per hour, plus I have to pay another 7.65 % for Social Security, and it averages 1.7 gal per hour of use. I could run the tractor to 10000 hours and trade and my cost per hour would be lower, but I can't verify the cost with repairs and tires. I do know a glass door is $1165. That was an expensive oops. So I use that number for estimating cost for myself. I've also got older tractors to use also, but think it is better to keep one main worker and stack the hours on it and keep it current and not trade up the others. Yes, Vertical mixers do make good feed from poor feed, but I think good feed is still cheaper in the end than buying ingredients that make junk good. Pasture without fences is management and ownership issues. Pasture with out maintained fence is like having a house that the roof leaks on the bed. Do you fix the roof or move the bed until the roof leaks on it the new location. Pasture land is an asset like a house is an asset. Is it worth more with a fence and Is the house worth more with a good roof.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)