AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Vertical mixer economics
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

cruisin88
Posted 3/15/2020 17:03 (#8107529 - in reply to #8106428)
Subject: RE: Vertical mixer economics

South Central NE
I purchased one for 120 hd cow/calf, & can find many ways for it to help pay for itself. Scales tell me how much ingredients (WDGS, hay, silage, corn) I'm using versus guessing. Very little feed waste versus putting out hay. Even putting hay out with a processor they sort around & use some for bedding. Unless it's really muddy, they will lick a tmr ration to the ground with very little waste & when they come up to eat they'll stay in one place until it's gone; not walk down the hay line finding what tastes the best. Using cheaper feedstuffs blended to get proper energy & protein, is a huge advantage over high priced hay. Using it for calf rations after weaning to either background or finish, use to use creep feeders & feed processed by feedmill. Running an extra tractor loading the wagon is probably the only negative I would have myself, but it's offset by my savings in feed cost!
A few other things, it isn't a kelly ryan especially if it's wet; they take a few ponies to pull & they have some weight to them. Also usually a taller loading height than other feed wagons. You can process a bale of hay in them vs other type wagons, & put all sorts of feedstuffs in & mix it all together really well.

Edited by cruisin88 3/15/2020 17:18
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)