AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What are my options with employees who smoke?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

oldbones
Posted 3/5/2019 20:12 (#7361449 - in reply to #7359125)
Subject: RE: What are my options with employees who smoke?

Floyd County, Iowa
I can't advise you of what you can, can't, should or shouldn't do about it.
My only advice would be to contact your state dep't of labor to find out the legalities, as someone above suggested. There are workplace laws.

I'm a former smoker, and until I quit smoking, I didn't know how offensive the odor was. I don't care for it at all, but I can't condemn someone who does smoke. I've been there and know how it is on the filter end of a cigarette.

Now the part that will no doubt draw some fire. I chew Skoal. I took it up to quit smoking, and it has worked for that. I don't stuff a half can of chew in there and look like a big league ball player. Most people don't know I'm chewing at all. I don't spit all over the place, or worse, spit in a bottle/cup/can- totally disgusting, and the sight of someone doing that will make gag. In fact, I don't spit. I don't have enough chew in there to affect the salivary glands.

Iowa has the workplace law. Not allowed to smoke in workplace buildings, vehicles, etc. At my day job, there are still a couple guys that smoke in the buildings and vehicles. I can't stand driving anything they drove. But the bosses don't say anything to the smokers, other than if they drive my truck, there is no smoking allowed in it (I requested that, citing the law), and that's worked. Others aren't bothered by it, so it is what it is.
Now, if I could just kick this stuff...................

I had a tee shirt once that said:

"Now, I don't smoke,
But I like to chew.
So don't blow your smoke on me,
And I won't spit on you."

edited to correct some punctuation

Edited by oldbones 3/5/2019 20:13
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread