AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hard no-till ground
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

iseedit
Posted 12/10/2018 06:17 (#7161107 - in reply to #7160487)
Subject: RE: Hard no-till ground

central - east central Minnesota -

Bc1420 - 12/9/2018 20:00 Picked up new farm that has been no-till for many years. Was ripping it this weekend and there was places that would almost stop the tractor in it’s spot. Buggy tracks and end rows where the worst. I have never been no-till mostly flat ground how do u no-till guys fix this problem? Most guys around here work all there ground. Om in this farm is really low like 2-3% I have always read no-till helps build OM. My farm is in the 6% range am I missing something here. Educate me on this! 

It out of "whack" or out of balance . .  . .  as pointed out, don't confuse NoTill to tillage and there are vast difference between tillage and notillage and soil types, location and such. Is this a neighboring farm (across the fence) from your 6% OM farm? or down the road a piece? Soil types, cropping practices and such can make a huge difference.
I'd likely start with manure and cover crops on this farm (Regardless of tillage or no-tillage). I'd be planting cover crops along with the manure applications to get the microbial activity going again. I would not give much regard to no-till or tillage at this point. You farm the way it works out best for the ground and your operation. I can make no-tillage work for me, a neighbor just down the road with same soils can't. That doesn't make him wrong and me right or visa-versa . . . . .. . . .

Edit to add: if this farm had erosion issues and needed some type of no-tillage, I'd likely be inclined to Strip Till it. . . . . .. .

Edited by iseedit 12/10/2018 06:19
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)