AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bull dilemma
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Hereford Guy
Posted 10/19/2018 21:02 (#7055547 - in reply to #7054236)
Subject: RE: Bull dilemma

Jim - 10/18/2018 15:42

In any case, it seems to me that something that happened in any breed 40-50 or more years ago is irrelevant to the discussion here and seems meant to distract from the subject of this thread. If you want to discuss impurities in the history of breeds please start another thread. As of recent years Hereford bulls need DNA tests to register a bulls offspring. Including my bulls.

No distraction and disrespect meant on my part. I think the point we were trying to make is that the old Simmental blood is still in there and pops up from time to time, even now. My vote and this is no shock, is to keep the Hereford bull. In keeping with a smaller cow size and from what I have seen of the finishing program you use, I would go Angus. If you prefer to keep them red, use a Red Angus bull. Those red baldies make nice looking animals. That is considering you are selling freezer calves from this program. This might be a customer question as well for you, do your customers prefer a smaller hanging weight and smaller steaks or do they want a great big steak? Big, meaty bull is going to produce calves that finish at higher weights and take longer to finish. Are you and the customers okay with that?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)