AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bull dilemma
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 10/17/2018 20:40 (#7052319 - in reply to #7052278)
Subject: RE: Bull dilemma

Driftless SW Wisconsin

puff33m - 10/17/2018 20:25 Bull-in time in 45 days here!!! Those 2 are studs. What is the third one?

The third one is my original Schu-Lar Hereford, 30E, a half brother to 33E, both are Tested grandsons. He looks a lot like 33E pictured but is at a different farm with about 20 heifers and first calvers.

The nice thing is that there are zero signs of heat in either group so I'm betting all heifers and cows are bred. I'll know for sure after the fall vet visit in mid November. May use ultra sound this year rather than palp and blood test of called opens. I'm betting they are all bred.

My plan has been to use a Hereford bull, such as 30E, on my Hereford heifers and first calf cows then move them over to the other place and a different breed bull (such as my Fleckvieh) to make 2nd calf and later F1 terminal calves in the older cow group.  Then each year I will retain all pure Hereford heifers and process or sell the pure Hereford steers and all F1 calves, both steers and heifers.

A problem with that plan is that I really like the looks of a couple of the F1 Fleck/Hereford heifers and will try keeping a couple for cows .... my plans are outgrowing my acres.

Edited by Jim 10/17/2018 20:51
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)