AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bull dilemma
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 10/18/2018 08:02 (#7053012 - in reply to #7052529)
Subject: RE: Bull dilemma

Driftless SW Wisconsin

play in the dirt - 10/17/2018 22:05...His heifers might turn into being your best cows or they might not but don't forget to select your heifers based on the heifers dam too. Don't get caught up in his heifers being big, fancy looking calves. Ahhh, who am I kidding? Big, fancy calves!? Keep all the heifers you can! Welcome to the club Jim.... of big, fancy calves.

You are bringing up a good point, Matt. 

Here I am working for a couple years to reduce my average cow size and all of a sudden I'm a bit dazzled by the Fleck's "big, fancy looking calves" which will probably turn into fancy but huge cows!

My plan has been to work towards a herd of 1100-1200 lb Hereford cows that wean 600 lb 205 day F1 calves...maybe I need to put that goal on a big sign and put it up on my office wall!

If I had more acres I'd love to fill them up with "big fancy looking calves" but I don't.

Thanks for the reminder. I love those F1 calves but should probably stick with my plan.

Maybe sell them as heifers next spring rather than process for beef but not get back into huge cows.

Thank you.

Edit to add: Here's a mid-summer (7/19) picture of my ideal cow from an efficiency (lbs of beef/acre) point of view. This cow weighed 1195 lb last time across the scale while this calf is now over 600 lb and looks great. Projected to be well over 650 lb at 205 days.  650/1195= .54  54% is exactly what I am looking for from a cow. BTW this steer calf #114 is out of my previous Hereford bull, EFBeef C627, a Tested son, so he is a straight Hereford and gaining well.

Edited by Jim 10/18/2018 14:40

(IMG011 Young cow 55 and calf 114 071918 (full).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG011 Young cow 55 and calf 114 071918 (full).jpg (140KB - 5 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)