AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

One big cart vs two normal carts
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

GM Guy
Posted 6/23/2018 17:49 (#6829942 - in reply to #6829540)
Subject: RE: One big cart vs two normal carts

NW KS/ SC ID
I think two carts is the answer. Less rushing, less compaction. If something breaks on one, you still have the other.

IMO your situation is unique with the bags as far as corn, since you would want to match to combine size and lag time, but since I assume you truck your wheat to town, you would be in the same boat as everyone else as far as matching cart to truck, and IMO that is the one that needs catered to more since any cart can feed a bag somewhat efficiently, but only the right sized cart can feed a truck efficiently.

My biggest pet peeve is a 1000 bushel cart that is dumping twice to fill a truck. (current situation with the guy I help part time. now there is two of them and we still dump twice...)

IMO a pair of 750s dragging less weight running less expensive tires (standard 12 or 14 ply 30.5x32s) trumps a 1000 bushel cart.

Now if a guy can step up to a 1300-1400 so you can easily and comfortably get 1000 bushels on to fill the truck in one dump, that would work good too. IMO a brent with the tandem axles looks good, as you are back to the cheap tires (4) 30.5x32s. versus the big super singles on a 1000-1100 bushel.

Of course since we have ran Gleaners (big fast augers, big bins) and no carts forever, I would be content pulling out and dumping the combine direct on the bagger if you go the two bagger route to eliminate the second cart, but once a guy has had a cart and sees the bushels roll in quicker, its hard to go back.

So the cheapest route currently is change nothing, use second bagger on far end, try to put priority on the bagger fed by the cart, dumping on far bagger with combines if needed. We have a wide harvest window, prices are crap, and people are expensive. :)

Next expensive is a pair of 750s, or a 750 and whatever you have now.

Even more $ is a big monster single cart, 1500-2000 bushel.

But a bad cart driver could turn the mid-price option into the most expensive option with worksmans comp and destroyed equipment, so the most expensive option may actually not be the most expensive.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)