AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

One big cart vs two normal carts
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

dpilot83
Posted 6/24/2018 00:08 (#6830481 - in reply to #6830401)
Subject: RE: One big cart vs two normal carts

We do similar to you but:

1. The cart never goes back to the field with grain on it. It is dumping into a bag after all

2. With one combine I would skip three passes. The harvest crew we used to hire called this, "blowing a hole". Then the cart follows through the hole. Combine turns left to come back down. Cart is on same set of tracks going in hole and coming back out. Cart continues to stay on that set of tracks anytime it is in the hole and is not being dumped on. Just less tracks through the field. One more round and the combine has done four passes. One more round and the combine has done 6 passes cleaning everything up before blowing another hole. The more passes you skip the more you control compaction out in the field with the cart but the more time you waste one the ends turning with the combine.

3. With two combines the lead combine would still skip two passes. But everything would be cleaned up with one round because it's two combines doing one round. The harvest crew we used to hire called this "sweeping the field". If you have 3 machines the lead combine would skip three passes. If you have 4 machines the lead combine would skip 4 passes.

Otherwise our methods are the same. Like you say it's important for the cart to be at the close end of the field and full enough to head out to dump at the same time that the combines get empty.

As I read your reply again, I guess I don't understand one cart being devoted to one combine, especially in mile long runs. When two combines are 1 mile from the end and they are both full, when the cart gets there he should pull under the second machine so the second machine can catch up to the first machine. After they catch the first machine the cart should switch to the first machine so both machines can move. When combines are close together, carts are efficient. No reason to make either machine wait for their designated cart to show up.

When both combines are empty the cart can leave because the other cart should be back by the time the combines are full again.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)