AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

One big cart vs two normal carts
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Turbo 8820
Posted 6/23/2018 14:33 (#6829587 - in reply to #6829540)
Subject: RE: One big cart vs two normal carts

S.E. Washington
I like two 900 bushel carts to my one combine in long runs harvesting high moisture corn. No matter how big a cart is, it never fails, it's at the trucks dumping and a combine is at the opposite end of the field waiting. Well it's just a matter of timing you say, so there's a cart, and two combines all in line to dump at one end row in a time wasting traffic jam. Combine does nothing but cost money sitting in line waiting.
There's also the fact that two 1,000 bushel carts cost the same as one really big cart to purchase. Resale is good on the smaller carts too.
The extra tractor and operator is the downside of the two cart system. There's no perfect system that I've ever found.

Edit to add, my cart guys are much happier with the two cart system. They aren't as rushed to get a load, dump, and rush back to the combine. Happy drivers are easier to keep on the job and as a bonus for me, cart and tractor breakdowns have gone down. It's a win win. Something to consider in this tight labor market.

Edited by Turbo 8820 6/23/2018 14:41
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)