AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Drive partition + dual boot
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

dpilot83
Posted 12/27/2008 14:38 (#548349 - in reply to #547971)
Subject: Re: Drive partition + dual boot

Sorry, no experience with Virtual PC. With all the naysayers on dual booting, I'm not sure what to tell you. I can't understand all the problems. I haven't had the problems that the other users are talking about so I see several reasons for the discrepancies in how these things work in real life.

1. I don't use the Vista part of my dual boot often enough to run into any problems. This is entirely possible, although I gave it a go last night for a few hours just to see how it was working and I didn't have any problems (again).

2. Since I've always dual booted pretty much since the first day I got a computer, I know the quirks and see them as "the way computers are" instead of a quirk. Since I know how to deal with them, they don't bother me. I don't think this is correct, because I can't think of any quirks other than the system restore deal.

3. Other users on this forum haven't pursued the option of booting two versions of Windows very much (and didn't need it very much) and therefore either haven't taken the time or didn't need to take the time to get it to work.

I would imagine it's some combination of all three. It looks like you're doing your research and you'll find what works best for you. I will however submit to you, that in terms of a cost effective solution, sticking with Vista Home Premium and buying an OEM copy of XP Pro is about as cheap as it gets for what you're wanting to do. You can give the dual boot a shot and if you don't like it, then you can upgrade to Vista Business and download Virtual PC and then use the XP Pro CD for running XP Pro from within Vista Business. Just my two cents.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)