AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Drive partition + dual boot
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

dko_scOH
Posted 12/26/2008 17:32 (#547611 - in reply to #547504)
Subject: RE: Drive partition + dual boot

39.48, -82.98

Don, my love affair with Toolbox is at a low ebb. IIRC, ArcView was initially a viewer for ARC/INFO files that would run on a desktop. It was never designed to be a full-fledged GIS, though it has been good enough for my purposes, if a bit clunky. Considering that it hails from the DOS era, that isn't too bad. But then again, how many of us use DOS these days?

ESRI made a major upgrade nearly ten years ago. ArcView 9.x is now an extension of ArcGIS 9.x but that whole system is very expensive. So Toolbox users are saddled with the old AV 3.x, with layers of lipstick applied. Only a few data centers could justify the expense of going to an ArcGIS-based system. But I would think SST could come up with a client-server arrangement, maintaining ArcGIS on their servers while licensing client software to customers. Not an ideal setup, but one I could agree to if necessary.

Other than that, I don't know how they will survive when XP disappears. I rely on Toolbox's analytical power quite a lot and haven't found anything to take its place. Maybe Farm Works can be cajoled into developing a Farm Analysis package?

I really hate the thought of going dual-boot, but don't have many options. I can keep Toolbox running on this seven-year-old machine, which won't read the newer data cards. I could but a cheap eMachines box and install XP on it. I can dual-boot. Or I can dump Toolbox.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)