AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

VRT fertilizer recs based on ZONES and not GRIDS?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

SpringBrookFarm
Posted 1/25/2018 22:01 (#6531912 - in reply to #6529452)
Subject: RE: Maybe we should modify terms...

Paradise KS
Heres my thing i guess.

The sample that is taken is not supposed to represent the 2.5 grid. Its represents that sample, where it was taken at that time. NOT the 2.5 acre grid. The grid is ONLY used to determine where that sample will be taken. 5 acre, 2.5,. 10, 1, makes no difference, those numbers are only there to find where the point could be placed. Once we get those values back from the lab kriging is used to extrapolate the data. This involves kriging or some other type of mathematically formula that basically guesses whats in between the points. The more samples you have the more accurate the date is. That is simply fact. By trying to go to zones you are moving back to composite samples and trying to represent an area. By doing so you are decreaseing the amount of data points which decreases the accuracy. Pulling points from separate areas of the zone and combining them to get a representation of an area of land just seems backwards to me. Zones are fine, but doing composite samples by zone is no different then doing composite samples by entire fields. Which for my area entire fields can be 30 acres. In bigger fields that could be some peoples zones.

If i was going to do zones I would use yield monitor data, satellite data, soil types and what not to build zones. BUT I would still do 2.5 acre grids inside those zones. Then i would limit the Kriging process to just that zone. So rather then the extrapolation take the whole field for the equation, it would just take the individual zone into consideration, dramatically reducing the amount of influence other samples have.
Grid sampling can be done anyway you like it to be done. The 2.5 is just a common way to place the points because its easy to get it started. But points could be placed anywhere. The whole point is to just get as many sample points as possible for better and more accurate data, which also requires GPS points so they can be repeated with some level of accuracy so when you repull it is a representation of what was pulled before.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)