AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

VRT fertilizer recs based on ZONES and not GRIDS?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

GOOSEPILOT
Posted 1/22/2018 14:04 (#6523564 - in reply to #6522971)
Subject: RE: VRT fertilizer recs based on ZONES and not GRIDS?

WC Mn/Dakotas
To me the yield is the ultimate say, however, yield data is often a little misleading in some ways. So i use both combined. I use thoroughly cleaned up yield data in conjunction with landsat for that years yield data. I like to get 3-4 years of yield if possible and 10+ years landsat and sometimes fsa naip. I like to use corn and bean together, not just corn years.

This is a very short version of how i soil sample. Then all other activities are slight variations of this base map.

To me a grid alot of the time fills in the whole 2.5-5acre grid falsely. The smaller the grid the better, but that really gets expensive and is much more time consuming.

Both have pros and cons. If you lime or manure or have a lot of volume and high dollar swings, a goid grid is probabky worth it. Otherwise, and especially if just starting out, spend less money and sample every year by zones and see how you get along. Tou can always break zones down and do more as you find it necessary or not and as you build confidence in vrt in general. Many starting out dont want to do big changes so starting off with a grid expense is harder to recover until you use it to make bigger changes.

It always evolves.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)