AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

$$$ are going to be way short this year.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

lawfarms
Posted 10/24/2017 09:11 (#6324465 - in reply to #6324244)
Subject: RE: $$$ are going to be way short this year.

King City, Mo
Each kid is different.

I've saw older kids twice his age that need more guidance before they are put on a tractor.

When I was in the 3rd grade i was turned loose with a 4455 and 24' field cultivator. I had been running the tractor hauling bales prior to that. My dad lacked instruction as it was typically down and back and then he's gone and I got yelled at when I screwed up.

I'm taking a different approach and trying to be there to teach and guide while he learns.
The ranger for example he started driving at age 5 while sitting on my lap. We would practice out in the grass between sweet corn patches and he learned to steer, then this summer he could reach the petals and i road with him learning to drive. Most times he is in line of site of me when driving, like when we pick sweet corn and i walk along and toss it in the back while he drives. He is getting more hrs of teaching then most kids ever get to learn to drive.

On the little tractor it will be good for me to mow around a large area with the zero turn and then have him work on cutting the middle out with the compact tractor and mower. Then when he's ready move to the tiller.

He's interested in learning and getting to run the tractor. When i first mentioned it to him his first questions were if he got to drive it, and if they were paying for it. We went and looked at an old kubota that was used and he was really excited. When we got there it was way rougher and had major issues with it. So we didn't get it, he even told me he didn't want it while we were there. That was a great learning experience for him as just because we go look at something doesn't mean were gonna buy it, we gotta find what we want at the price that works for us. So we waited and sold more stuff and going new.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)