AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Windows in new home
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Jim
Posted 4/27/2017 14:09 (#5985699 - in reply to #5984638)
Subject: RE: Windows in new home

Driftless SW Wisconsin

ILfarmergirl - 4/26/2017 23:39 We have Andersen, built 1998. Many are rotten outside. Not wooden, not a solid vinyl. They say Pelli has a good window. Honestly, the best windows that last the longest are behind storms. Sorry, but true. I would go low-e and white inside and out if it were me. Our home is very, very tight and the condensation has been an issue on ours in the past, damaging the interior pine. Would love to go back now and do all white. Let us know what you find out.

It sounds like you may have a tight house ventilation and moisture control problem also. If you have a "very, very tight" house do you also have a functioning air to air heat exchanger constantly changing the inside air?  These are required by code on newer homes here. They were likely not required in 1998.  You have to keep the humidity inside the house at reasonable levels for the weather no matter whose windows you use.

If there is always condensation on any window all winter it will fail eventually.  There has been almost a 100 degree F (-25 to +70 or so F) temperature difference across our windows at times in the winter with almost zero condensation. No storm windows, just Andersen 400 double hung.

I don't know what model Andersen windows were made in 1998. They do have several different lines. I agree on the low E and white but the heart of any window is the glass unit itself and the sealing.

What type of window are these, casement, double hung, ..?

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)