AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Have packers beat the dog so much it won't come when they call
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

white shadow
Posted 1/27/2014 11:12 (#3639429 - in reply to #3639325)
Subject: Re: Have packers beat the dog so much it won't come when they call

East Central South Dakota
In my case a $50/year/cow is very accurate during those years sampled by my spreadsheet. I survived by subsidizing my cow habit with other enterprises. One day I woke up and realized it just wasn't worth the work for that little of profit. I was lucky enough to have all farmable land and the last 10 years has proved it was a very profitable decision to break and farm everything.

cfdr, not looking for a fight, like your input. Looking forward not backwards do you think we might kill demand enough for these current supplies to be adequate-----beef becomes a luxury item----a real worry for me ? If we don't kill demand, can these prices get farmland back into grass and get supply to increase? All of this good debate should get us to these two questions.

Looking out this morning I don't see myself putting fence back in, buying a feed wagon, haybine, baler, stock cows and grass seed. My biggest worry is demand destruction and beef becomes a lobster---- the industry has lost a whole generation to bring the next generation in. Drop by if you are in my area------ can only afford chicken though.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)