AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Have packers beat the dog so much it won't come when they call
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

frogfarm
Posted 1/27/2014 08:12 (#3638936 - in reply to #3638747)
Subject: Re: Have packers beat the dog so much it won't come when they call

I don't have a dog in this fight, and haven't been in cattle since the "80's, I used to buy cows and calve them when I thot there was money in it, and I'd sell 'em when I didn't think there was money in them. I always made money on them.
My Dad was a butcher in the dirty thirties for the local beef ring, I can remember playing in the old slaughter house when I was a kid. My FIL was the local butcher in our small town with an old facility, but in the 70's I helped him
put together a nice new modern abattoir and retail outlet. He made a good living for himself and those who worked with him, but never paid big wages, and everyone worked hard. He did however put my wife through college with the money from the blood and guts he sold, b/c that money never existed. There are ways for money to never show in that business, but if you think the packers don't make money, then ask why they like to own the animals and feedlots.
It's a tough business and just as tough as Chicago was in the old days. Immigrant workers are very expendable. But who gets the real money? Bankrupts allow antiquated facilities to disappear and efficient ones take over.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)