AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Have packers beat the dog so much it won't come when they call
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

cfdr
Posted 1/27/2014 06:50 (#3638777 - in reply to #3638741)
Subject: Re: Have packers beat the dog so much it won't come when they call

Well, my brother-in-law raises grass fed beef. I think it is pretty dumb, but my wife reminds me that it is best to keep my lip zipped about the questionable economics of this. Anyway, he trucks his cattle over 600 miles to a packing plant. If you are living in an area without adequate competition, you may have no choice. Just because you want to feed cattle where you happen to live does not mean that competitive bids are an entitlement.

Personally, I found it advantageous to maintain a good relationship with packer buyers. If you do like a poster here and "Sneak a few cow in there and it gets even better. . . I cheat at every oppurtunity" - would it be any surprise that they might not get treated all that well? He doesn't think that packer buyers have good memories? That they can't see what is being done? Think about it - *it's their job - it's what they do*. Once I had a pen with a few heiferettes in it, and the pen was bought flat price, but they still took our 6 and discounted them. I could have raised hell and gotten paid full price, since the buyer didn't buy them with any outs. I didn't, and the buyer was grateful that I didn't make him look bad. I have always found that it is a very good thing to establish trust if you wish to continue to sell to a packer. That buyer made a mistake. Whenever he came out from that time on, what do you think his attitude was? In the cattle business, it is very important to establish trust. Just my experience and opinion, of course.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)