AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Beautiful day here
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Jim in Sask
Posted 1/27/2013 23:21 (#2855075 - in reply to #2854981)
Subject: Re: Beautiful day here

We use cisterns because there's no ground water available. In addition to rainwater off the roof much of our water is supplied by a dugout or pond in the yard which is pumped over to the cistern. Now in the winter I haul water from a small town that has a coin operated water supply on their pumphouse. This all relates to water used for non drinking purposes. A smaller, second 5000 gal. cistern holds drinking water which I have custom hauled from a nearby city (chlorinated, etc.). I have 2 pressure systems in the house that draw water from the cisterns (the cisterns are about 5 feet from the house). If I leave the snow lay on top of the cisterns they don't freeze over usually - a couple feet of snow are a great insulator. The tops of the cisterns are at ground level and will freeze down a foot or so if no cover is left on them. Water lines here are placed 8 to 10 feet below ground level which is usually sufficient to prevent freezing.

My son was talking to a friend of his in Brisbane tonight, sounds like they've had quite a weekend down there.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)