AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

good/bad experiences crossing US/Canada border
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

westman farmer
Posted 2/4/2012 13:50 (#2205420 - in reply to #2205324)
Subject: Re: good/bad experiences crossing US/Canada border

Manitoba
Are they perhaps trained to intimidate people? Most of my crossings have been pleasant and that is both ways. However, entering the US at Detroit last summer was not. The young official barked and snarled at me because he said I had driven up too soon. The vehicle ahead of me had been pulled aside, so when the man came back to his place, I slowly drove closer. Maybe he did not have time to read the information from the scanners.
We were taking about 10 boxes of peaches from Ontario to Manitoba through the US and he said we could not do that. He called someone else and they told him there was no reason why we could not do that. Then when he told me to give him the keys, (our vehicle has push button start with no place to insert a key) I reached into my pocket to get the key and he shouted "I SAID GIVE ME THE KEYS".
The year before on the same kind of trip going home from Leamington, ON with peaches, we went with passports that were expired by less than a year. I had not realized that they were expired till just before we left home. WE went east the Canadian route and back through the US both times. When we got to the border, I told the older official what the situation was and he said to renew them when we got home. When I told him where we were going, he said," So you're just taking a shortcut home". I wish there were more like him.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)