AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

impact of fall N on the decomposition of corn stover
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

soil-life
Posted 9/7/2011 23:44 (#1951825 - in reply to #1951568)
Subject: RE: impact of fall N on the decomposition of corn stover

North Central Ohio, across the Corn belt !

GregWCIL - 9/7/2011 22:32 Joel, My Pioneer agronomist was recommending that practice. But, he says it is very important to incorporate the nitrogen into the soil. His reasoning is that the nitrogen (he specifically says it needs to be ammonium form) will jump start microbial activity in the soil. It is then the increased microbes which will decompose the residue and release nitrogen (and other nutrients I suppose) for next year's crop. He says many folks are using the ams from ADM at Decatur due to the cost per unit. That would be influenced by trucking cost from Decatur since it is only about 5% N. It sounded logical to me and he had some research to back it up. So, to answer your final question: One test would be to compare incorporated vs. surface applied. One thing to measure would be month-by-month soil nitrate levels. Good luck, Greg

yes, they have been doing that for some 35 years I know. In that area.

the soil Chemistry must be correct to get the response that they have over the years.

I new an Agronomist for a Fertilizer company back in the 80s that worked there, in the area and he visited about the practice as common place.

He said the area was Low on Sulfur and Zinc. So AMS was blended with K and Zinc and broadcast on wheat stubble and corn stalks before fall tillage. 

As far as I know. It is quite a common Practice across the Corn Belt. and has been for 30 to 40 years. 

many places in PA. Ohio and Indiana

I have never seen it as Just a Melt down for the Residue.  But for the same reasons that the Agronomist above speaks of.

I assure You. The fields where the 90 to 105 bu. S.B. s have been measured the past 3 seasons. on the farms where I review the Yield, bu. sold across the scales  tickets.   All do, and have been faithful followers of the very practices visited by the above mentioned person. Agronomist.

and also the Pioneer agronomist.

I have never seen so much Immediate crop response the 1. st. season. Much like applying Litter, or bedding manure.  But later on. 2 to 3 Plus seasons as I think the soil Biology Builds, increases. with proper feeding. Nurturing.

these are the very Same Farms where The IPM scouts see no harmful insect infestations. and No Insect spray applications have ever been made by them. but neighboring fields, areas, tester areas.  have to be sprayed annually. some 2 to 3 times the scouts recomend. 

As I mentioned in another Post. We will apply a broadcast this fall 2011 for the 2015 Soybean crop season.

the 100 plus ac. field that made 102 Bu last season. the 2010 season S.B. crop. was fertilized in 2007. for 2010. 

all part of a Long Term, Privately funded research Project.  we have never done Less than a 10 season on the farm plot. 

in the past 35 plus seasons.

S.B. s , Like Alfalfa. Respond well to Residual fertility. HIGH Residual Fertility.   In My opinion.  Corn can respond to Seasonal fertility for decent yields on a good weather year. On a drought year, Corn will Bomb out if the residual fertility is lacking.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)