AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

impact of fall N on the decomposition of corn stover
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

ioway
Posted 9/7/2011 23:19 (#1951756 - in reply to #1951570)
Subject: RE: Credit the fall applied N as 0%

Central Iowa
While I fully agree sidedress is probably the most efficient way to get the plant what it needs when it needs it I disagree with your blanket statement. Sidedress would have paid the last years in my area where we had torrential rains simply by having the nitrogen out there for less days subject to leaching. However in a "normal" year where N in the soil solution is much more stable sidedress most likely will not produce any better results. Regardless of method of application there needs to be adequate nitrate in the soil to feed the plant. Sidedressing UAN for example provides an instant shot of plant available N. Broadcasting AMS on the other hand serves to allow an easier release of nitrate during the growing season by addressing N tie-up by burning off carbon before the plant enters rapid N uptake thus making more nitrate available to the plant. There are many ways to manage nitrate availability and release. Obviously different soil types make different management strategies possible.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)