AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

impact of fall N on the decomposition of corn stover
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

ioway
Posted 9/7/2011 23:09 (#1951728 - in reply to #1951656)
Subject: RE: impact of fall N on the decomposition of corn stover

Central Iowa
I have done it a few different ways. Fall applied right behind the combine with tillage, fall applied right behind the combine with tillage about another 2-3 weeks later, tillage followed by late fall application, and spring applied followed by tillage. We have put as much as 200 units of N down with this product at one time. I would not recommend putting these kind of rates down early in the fall. We have done it and had very good crops the following year but I have not done it since. We generally do our tillage as early as possible and wait to apply the product till soil temps are 50 degrees and declining. I think the early tillage is the most important and that the AMS actually does the most work in the spring. Breakdown is breakdown whether spring or fall. I believe that if enough ammonium nitrogen is provided in early spring a tremendous amount of carbon breakdown can occur before the planter ever rolls. By getting it on in the fall it is there as soon as soil temps begin to rise in the spring.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)