AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Beating a dead horse here, farm machinery and cars
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

bigmiker
Posted 7/4/2011 22:06 (#1848908 - in reply to #1848074)
Subject: RE: Beating a dead horse here, farm machinery and cars

SW Ontario
Jon S - 7/4/2011 11:16

I have wondered if part of the problem might be related to the design of the warning lights on tractors. I suppose it's possible for traffic following to either ignore them, or become so acclimated to the flashing lights that they don't even notice when one flasher goes solid and the other is still flashing. Throw an idiot behind the wheel and now you have an interesting scenario at hand.

I have pretty much decided that it's going to have to be my responsibility to just assume that when I am making a left turn someone is going to try to pass me. This means that I either gradually hog the left side of the road, use the extended mirrors to look for idiots (if I'm driving a tractor equipped as such), or cautiously make it known that I'm making a turn. I prefer that everyone get to their final destination unscathed.

Narcissistic people that flip off us farmers on the road, and travel one foot off of the drawbar kind of proves that they don't understand the road capabilities of farm equipment. I put those people in the same category as the idiots that get upset with construction crews and emergency personnel.

Well wonder no more. You are right about people getting acclimated to the on/off flashers. I should know, its happened to me! I was following a tractor, and when it was safe to do so I pulled out and passed him. It wasn't until i was right beside him that I noticed he had turned his signal on to turn left. I couldn't believe that I didn't notice it, and cursed myself pretty good for doing it too! But I now know what happens to city drivers who get stuck behind tractors, and it explains some (SOME!) of the stupid stuff they do.

This is why I am firmly against exclusively having on/off flashers on farm equipment. It should either be beacons on top or beacons with led type pattern flashers at the outer edge of wide equipment, and both set-ups should have dedicated brake/turn lights. Similar to what is on the back of big rigs that carry over-dimension loads.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)