AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

EZ GUIDE 500 - EZ STEER SETTINGS
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

LanceM
Posted 4/26/2007 15:01 (#142891 - in reply to #142850)
Subject: RE: Tell the whole story.....

DG N. AL - 4/26/2007 13:44

How accurate are your guess rows?

Can you repeat the lines?

Can you use them for spraying or side dressing?

Sure they are straight, You get relatively straight rows with any GPS signal. But WAAS WILL have drift and there are times when it will have significant jumps in a short period of time. I have been using GPS since 1996. I started with the old C-Band receivers. I have used Omnistar basic and then WAAS. I am now running RTK. There is a reason that the more accurate subscription services cost more. You get what you pay for. If they were no better than WAAS, no one would buy them. Yes, WAAS is accurate enough for many things, but row crop planting is not one of them. You can not plant with WAAS using a 12 row planter and follow it with an 8 row corn head. I have seen WAAS move 12 inches in less than 10 minutes. I have seen it make jumps as much as 30". You will see it also. What is the use of planting with auto steer if you can not use the lines later in the season.

Guess rows?
Guess rows are fine. You occasionally have to nudge a bit or play with it, yeah, you really got me there. Would I pay $1000's of dollars so I didn't have to pay attention at all (and best of all),
not use my markers? No.

Repeat lines?
No, I don't think I can repeat them accurately without resetting. Once I do that? I'm fine again. Would I pay $1000's of dollars so I didn't have to take 1 minute and line up when I come back? No.

Spraying and side dressing?

Of course I can. If you have dead straight rows with perfect guess rows why couldn't you?

Have to disagree with you on picking corn too ace (see reasons above). I realize people that spend lots of money on things like to think that it's way better than the guy with the low $ system. I understand where you're coming from.

Can you move your RTK system (I'm assuming you're not using the 500 and EZ Steer) from tractor to tractor, to combine, to sprayer, etc. etc. etc. ? We can. EZ 500 and EZ- Steer in less than 20 minutes. Whatever trips your trigger. Sorry to have struck a nerve. WAAS will work fine. You may have to spend slightly more time with it overall but it works fine for us. If I have to nudge here or there that's ok with me. I feel like a lazy sob with the thing in the first place. ;)

As I mentioned before, I'll post some pics (including guess rows) from my freebie/cheapie system. I'll also snap a few of the high $ guys (who apparently don't know how to make them work right). A big part of the picture is knowing what you're doing and acting accordingly.

Edited by LanceM 4/26/2007 19:50
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)