AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

EZ GUIDE 500 - EZ STEER SETTINGS
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

DG N. AL
Posted 4/27/2007 08:45 (#143276 - in reply to #143184)
Subject: OK, Let's review here.....

Hillsboro, AL

LanceM - 4/26/2007 09:36
DREWSDAD - 4/26/2007 08:39 people around me say you cannot use wass for planting, i disagree.
Disagree here as well. I'll post some planting pics soon of the bullets shot by the EZ 500 w/EZ-Steer using free WAAS on half mile rows. The high $$ rigs couldn't plant any straighter. In fact, I've seen some subscription systems that don't look as good as ours. There are quite a few people running this system. Once it's dialed in it's on the money. Monday was an off day as there was Sat maintenance going on with 135. Other than that (which was no fault of the system), I can't say enough good things about the 500 and the EZ-Steer.

That is your post that I jumped in on.  Bullet shots, high dollar rigs can't plant any straighter, once it is dialed in it's on the money.  My reply was "Tell the whole story".

Now we find out you do have to nudge.  Not quite as "right on" as we were first led to believe.  We know that you are running on table top flat land.  We know that you are from an area where trees are generally not a problem causing multipath errors.  In other words you are in an area that is just about ideal for GPS autosteer and you are getting it to work.  Most users are not that fortunate.  They run in areas that are not ideal for autosteer and the WAAS signal does not give that accuracy in those areas.

I will freely admit that I am in an area that is not autosteer friendly.  In fact it is very difficult for autosteer to work here.  But, I have traveled the country quite extensively in the last few years speaking about Precision Farming.  Does that make me an expert, NO!!!!  But it does give me a good feeling for what others are doing and what is working.  The one question I am always asked is "Can I plant with WAAS"?  My reply is that you can try, but be prepared to be disappointed.  I have been on this board since day one.  I see it over and over again.  People start out with WAAS and then move up to a more accurate correction signal.  Most say they should have done it from the start.

Some people want to get into autosteer as cheaply as possible.  They come here for advice and some one says you can plant with WAAS, so they go and buy the cheapest WAAS system they can find.  Then they go to the field and try to plant only to be severely disappointed.  They are then all over their dealer fussing because the system will not do what someone told them it would do.  The truth is that it was never designed to have that kind of accuracy.  Then they find out the system they bought is not upgradeable.  They would have been much better served if they had spent a little more and bought a system capable of meeting their needs.  Many will then chunk the system and not try anything else convinced that guidance will not work.  The fact of the matter is that they could have spent a few more dollars and bought a system that would have met their needs.

WAAS was designed to land airplanes.  Have you ever looked at how wide a runway is?  I am not trying to discredit WAAS.  I think it is a wonderful system and I am amazed at how accurate it actually is.  But the truth is that it has it's limitations.  My comment that WAAS will not plant is broad and yes too broad.  But the truth is that there are very few situations where WAAS will plant.  In ideal conditions it can work, but those conditions are not very common.

Some one down below made the comment that whoever spent the most money won.  This is not about winning and loosing.  People come here for sound advice and to tell them that WAAS will be dead on is not sound advice.  And some times spending more money is the smart move to make.

As to future WAAS systems having 1-2" accuracy, I told you I have not heard anything about that.  I can't discuss a system that I know nothing about.  And, I don't see the relevance to this conversation.  We are talking about current accuracy only and WAAS DOES NOT HAVE 1-2" ACCURACY NOW.  I

I am not trying to discredit you.  I am trying to bring out the point to readers here that WAAS does not work for planting in most situations.  You happen to be in a unique area where it works.

As to showing me a mess that was made with an SF2 system.  Any system will make a mess if it is not set up correctly.  I have seen messes with RTK systems.  I have made messes with RTK systems.  I have tested RTK systems that did not work.  But if they are setup correctly dual band correction systems and RTK systems are much more accurate that WAAS.  If you are going to argue that point, then I am wasting my time.

You seem to have suddenly taken this thread personally.  I don't.  I saw a post that made WAAS sound like it would do anything and from my own experience, I know that to be incorrect.  This board is full of knowledgeable people that try to answer all questions to the best of their ability.  I like to think that I am one of them.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)