AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

EZ GUIDE 500 - EZ STEER SETTINGS
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

LanceM
Posted 4/26/2007 22:48 (#143116 - in reply to #143010)
Subject: RE: Tell the whole story.....

DG N. AL - 4/26/2007 20:08

I will stand by every thing I said. WAAS will not do an acceptable job of Row Crop planting. SF2 and Omnistar HP, will in most cases.

I had the occasion a few weeks ago to spray a field that had been planted with RTK, but using the WAAS signal on the sprayer(RTK Base station was down for a couple of hours). The rows were RTK straight. Guess rows were perfect. The tractor was running fine, no "S-ing". I was having to nudge 4-5 times a pass in quarter mile rows to keep the tractor off the row. I finally started using the system to find the right row and then drove it manually. It was more work doing all the nudging than it was to steer.

WAAS performance will vary based on how close you are to a ground station. If you are very close to a station you may get better performance than most. But for those of us that are not fortunate enough to be close, WAAS gives stated performance of 1 meter static and 1 foot pass to pass and I have seen worse than that. Wait will you have a day with bad solar flare activity and WAAS jumps you 30' in about 15 seconds. I have seen it happen on more than one occasion.

And yes, RTK systems can be moved from vehicle to vehicle. Each Vehicle will have to have it's own platform kit, but the controller, display, and receiver can be move about as easy as an EZ-500 system.

I do not think it is right to make claims about system performance that will cause people to buy a system that will not meet their needs or expectations.

I'll stand by everything I said as well. There are plenty of people who are waking up to the fact that WAAS can do an "acceptable" job planting around here (Central Illinois). There are people planting here (and doing it well) going on their third year now. Several fellows are even running EZ Steer without the T2!! I'm sorry but this isn't a "your way or the highway" issue. It IS working for people, accept that or not, makes no difference to me.

If I have a bad day with WAAS (Monday was iffy for instance) guess what? I still have my steering wheel attached.
My claims are valid. I'm living proof for crying out loud. What more do you want? Do I need to get pictures, video, personal testimony from others? How you can say WAAS won't work when people are using it is beyond me. I hate to burst anyones bubble but these things work. The examples of poor performance that you site are beyond extreme (although plausible) and are completely not the norm.

Lastly, I don't think it's right to "be quiet" about system performance that will work for people and possibly help them keep from spending more money than they need to.

By the way, since your the resident expert on guidance, have you heard that WAAS may be down to 1-2 inch accuracy in the next couple years? I have (from multiple knowledgeable sources).

Edit...By the way, I have 2 neighbors with the high $ latest greatest Deere systems that have had completely bizarre experiences if you'd like to talk about extremes. Bad thing about their situations is that they are so comfy with their high $ systems they don't realize they just drifted 3 passes off their line while reading the paper. I talked to another guy who was waiting on sats (or something) constantly one day. I'm not saying those aren't real nice systems, I am saying that they aren't flawless either. Are you in sales by any chance? Just curious. Much more money changing hands with the high end systems. Probably more commission too.

Edited by LanceM 4/26/2007 23:06
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)