AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

is there anyone who does not carry crop insurance?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

paul the original
Posted 3/15/2010 02:06 (#1121140 - in reply to #1121014)
Subject: Re: is there anyone who does not carry crop insurance?

southern MN
Heath insurance & liability insurance are something else, for sure!

Anything else: The insurance co is betting that they can collect more from me than they have to pay me. If I can stand the risk, I should get rewarded.....

I don't so much like govt involvement in things, but it is here to stay so I understand your comments for sure - I won't get my perfect world, and if it would come to be I bet it wouldn't always be as perfect as I envision it. :)

1988 was dry here, dad said it was far worse than the dust bowl days he remembered. Was one of my most profitable years - it was real dry early so I planted a lot of oats in a corn/soybean area. That was the same year eating oats was deemed to be the most healthy & best ever thing to do, and oats prices soared - unbelievably. My corn made 40-50 bu an acre, but the oats profit....

You get lucky sometimes.

My land tends to be very wet, even in a single dry year (1988 was preceeded by the 2nd driest year dad ever saw, 1987 but our dirt holds moisture for a good year or more so I can take it dry) even if the yield drops a tad the price tends to go up in a dry year. In a wet year I lose crop; but that tends to make everyone else have a good crop and prices drop and I haven't lost much.

Been through 2 bad hails, not fun.

Anyhow, we aren't very far apart I don't think, just looking at it from a little different sides, which is good.

--->Paul
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)