AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

is there anyone who does not carry crop insurance?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

paul the original
Posted 3/14/2010 22:33 (#1120916 - in reply to #1120854)
Subject: RE: Question for non-believers-

southern MN
There is a different situation than what you are saying.

Insurance subsidies change the business model.

The susidy changes our business, it makes large farms much easier to achieve, to finance. It makes margins smaller, so small farms are no longer as viable.

It's a bigger issue than I care to discuss in this thread.....

The problem is more about the subsidy changing farming margins & financing, rather than 'choosing' to use the inurance or not.

If you are a big farmer looking to get bigger, you may not see this.

Doesn't bother me that you are trying to get bigger, nor does it bother me that you would want to use the tool the govt is providing.

But it would be foolish for me to say you should use a 2 row NI corn picker to expand your harvest productivity. A big farm lives on getting bigger, expanding with bigger equipment & tools.

It is also kinda foolish to think a govt subsidy on insurance would really help a smaller farm in any way. Insurance lessens risk and leads to smaller margins, all of which harms what a small operator tries to live on. The ecconomics are all wrong for the smaller operation with subsidiezed insurance.

The 2 row ear corn picker is the wrong tool for a big operation to continue to grow. Likewise, the subsidzed insurance hurts a small operation more than it helps...... Wrong tool. It's a deeper ecconomic issue.

I don't mind bto, I understand in free enterprise big get bigger is natural, I have no deep issue with any of that. Couple years ago I bough a neighboring 40, so I'm 'getting bigger' myself. My only problem is the govt is using our tax dollars to help speed that process up, and making my type of farming harder. Doesn't bother me that people take advantage of the tools they are given.

But I can still be disappointed that the tools are there at all and wish it wasn't out there......

---->Paul
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)