AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

When city folk move to the country
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Hamstn
Posted 10/28/2009 08:30 (#903113 - in reply to #902096)
Subject: Re: When city folk move to the country

SW Idaho
I have seen my share of problems like this also. Got sued for a flat of strawberries that suppose to have gotten sprayed 50' away. Got written up by the local finest for wreckless driving on my own property cause I was in a hurry to get water changed and make it to a birthday party on time. Twice got into a match with two different houses about their chickens eating my crops. "well it only costs us $20/month to feed them we didn't feel the little they ate was a big deal", the other one they were eating $2.50/lb sweet corn seed. I do work late nights and/or early morning in the fall to get ground worked for the next year. The action taken by one neighbor was to play loud music late at night to get even. Got many letters from the county that I was not in compliance. One year we painted some buildings that were built in the 70's. A week or two later I got letter I had built with no building permit and I was increasing my livestock numbers without permit. I filled the compliance offer's desk with so much proof that I never heard from them again, Made them look like fools. 6 months later the ordiance was changed into my favor.

With the housing boom land around here was looked at for development. I was in favor and one large one got approved. I now can do what I want with no complaints cause it is either my farming or a subdivision and they want to maintain the country lifestyle. With the housing down turn I can start to see a hint of things changing again.

We also have protection though with a Right to
Farm bill
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)