AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

When city folk move to the country
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

jumpinfarmer
Posted 10/27/2009 22:34 (#902730 - in reply to #902164)
Subject: RE: When city folk move to the country

western NY
I get the same thing every year when we start drying corn. I've got a bin dryer and it runs all night and in all fairness does have a rather loud axial fan and burner. It can be heard maybe 1/2 mile away but certianly not to the extent where it would disturb you from sleeping or watching TV. Once a person wrote a letter to the town bord and wanted them to prohibit us from using the dryer after dark, the bord totaly ignored there request. They wrote letters to us, some rather nasty, you could not get them to understand that once you start the dryer it has to keep going. I told them if they wanted to buy me a new dryer that would keep up to my combine durring daylite hours I would go for it otherwise they were SOL. The topper was when they told me they had guests staying with them from Chicago and the noise was too much for them to take and they needed to go to a hotel. I can't believe my dryer over 3/4mile from there house was louder than the streets of Chicago. They never did give up but they did move away thankfully.

Just a year ago the same thing started all over with another homeowner maybe a 1/2 mile away. They had stopped one afternoon while the dryer was going and walked around the farmstead with a tape recorder while we were out picking corn. The only reason we even knew they were here was a friend stopped looking for me and caught them, they said they were trying to record that terible industrial noise. They came back a few nights later right at dusk and parked at the end of my driveway, I had no idea who they were and asked if they needed help. The husband said they were just sitting there waiting for the blower thing to start up, I then knew who they were and quickly changed my atitude. Then the wife started telling me how I was going against local noise ordinance and was ilegaly running an industrial opperation in a residential area. She hadn't slep in several nights because of the constant noise, and she then started blaming me for her medical conditions. I had about had it with them but knew there would be no reasoning and didn't feal like telling them to go sh%^ in the river so I did the next best thing. I said that it was only 7:30 and if they were quick they could still get to the Barns&Noble Bookstore and pick out a couple good books to read since they wouldn't be sleeping for at least another month since that is how much longer I figured to be drying corn. The left and I never heard from them again.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)