AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

When city folk move to the country
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Virginia Veg.
Posted 10/27/2009 18:42 (#902271 - in reply to #902096)
Subject: Same all over...

Eastern VA. No such thing as too many Magnums.
We rented a new farm and put up a pivot. An old fenceline had to be removed. The "fenceline" is now 70 feet wide because the previous 3 generations havent' sprayed, mowed, or grazed it. So there are some pretty big trees in there, and a manmade ditch. We called county land use, they said no problem cleaning ag ditches and removing fencelines. Well when the excavator starts crawling, neighbors get their underwear all jumbled up. County land use rep came out because he had numerous calls how we were removing "essential" hedgerows that block wind from adjacent property, raping the land and stream clear down to the river, and (there's a road between the field and the river and we didn't cross the road). He looked at our progress, laughed and said carry on. Some people don't have enough to do, so they just make assumptions about your business. I want to be a good neighbor, but I don't change my plans because some newbie in town doesn't like me to take out a tree line and clean ditches. If you didn't break any rules, just be nice as you can and shake it off.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)