AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

When city folk move to the country
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

WhiteFarms
Posted 10/27/2009 14:30 (#902096)
Subject: When city folk move to the country

Priceville, AL.
My brother and I were picking cotton last night trying to get as much harvested before the rains set in again...it was a cloudy, windy night which equals no dew and allows for a late night of picking cotton. I noticed headlights from a car on our driveway to the farm around 12:30am and then a spotlight from the car shining on us across the field then blue lights. When I got to the end of the row I let my son pick while I find out why someone is on our property shining a spotlight on us working....It was our local town police officer letting me know that the neighbors from a trailer park that was built 4~5 years ago and borders our farm are complaining of the noise from our pickers and tractors... I laughed and told him to welcome them to the country and what was I suppose to do...he just said I'm not sure just relaying the message to you.
There are 2 particular trailers in this park that were moved in during the summer and setup so close to the field....well so close if they wanted to park a vehicle in their back yard some of it would be in the cotton. We suspect it was one or both of them... first we will find out if there is a set back regulation on how close you can setup a trailer to property line.... then we will visit and offer an apologize for the late night noise but explain why the need to work late and invite them to church. We have no choice but to be neighborly since it looks like this trailer park is not going anywhere. I guess I could have informed them that we would be working late but it didn't cross my mind... we were focused on getting over as much ground as possible before the rain....we ran from 10:00am Monday to 5:00 am Tuesday morning...started raining then and had to stop.
So when city folk move to the country they can expect sights, sounds, and smells at all hours of the day and night that only happens in the country.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)