AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cyclo planter biggest shortcoming?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

neukm
Posted 6/10/2021 19:00 (#9052129 - in reply to #9052009)
Subject: RE: Cyclo planter biggest shortcoming?

EC IL
Gro-Mor Farms - 6/10/2021 16:49

Funny thing, Our 800 Cyclo will place every seed at 2" and come up the same day. I realize that spacing is not the best, but it was good enough to produce several passes in our variety plot at 270 to 280 bpa. The whole variety plot averaged 258 bpa and the farm it was on made 247. IMHO not too shabby for a 50 year old planter design.
 Edit: How, does the seed delivery get the seed too deep? Are you saying that 8 to 11 oz. of air pressure is driving the seed into the dirt? I have planted into worked ground and notilled dirt and that has never happened because it can't. I call BS.

I said the velocity of the seed delivery, some seed is driven deeper into soft dirt.

I used to stop the planter multiple times in every field to check depth, and changed it often, back and forth at LEAST 4 times a year, usually more often, Digging seed and never sure where it was putting it, a well defined V trench would plant differently than something more mellow. Dry powder differently than something with moisture to the surface. Seed not in the V on mellow stuff, it would be off to the side, sometimes impossible to find. And yes I tried keetons and rebounders, (which actually helped a little) Impossible to plant beans shallow, 15% would be on top. Planting now with a 1200 and a 1240 and have not adjusted the depth for 3 years on either planter, night and day difference. If you haven't used a 1200 series planter, you would be surprised, if a kernel can't be found, it's a metering problem.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)