AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cyclo planter biggest shortcoming?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

CASE3594
Posted 6/10/2021 18:23 (#9052063 - in reply to #9051943)
Subject: RE: Cyclo planter biggest shortcoming?

Tuscola, IL
These planters excel at consistent depth/emergence. There are plenty of flaws in the metering and delivery of seed. Mostly due to the distance the seed travels from meter to ground. These issues can all be reduced but not completely eliminated. But, the opening and closing systems and the depth consistency is not a shortcoming of the cyclo planters. All in all I don’t feel like we are giving up a bushel at harvest by using a cyclo. Using an advanced seed monitor (InCommand 1200) this year has further convinced me of that. As I said, singulation and spacing are not what a 1200 series or Deere Exactemerge are capable of. But it’s pretty damn good, honestly. Population is spot on with where we have it set. Funny thing is we have about $3500 invested in a 12 row, bulk fill planter and it would probably take generations for any marginal gains to justify updating the planter. I had to laugh this spring when I realized we now have a planter monitor that costs more than the planter itself did.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)