AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cyclo planter biggest shortcoming?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

redhunter
Posted 6/10/2021 15:07 (#9051815 - in reply to #9051751)
Subject: RE: Cyclo planter biggest shortcoming?

Owensville, MO
In today's world the number one thing they have going against them is that they share a name with the 400 and 500 "cyclo" planters from 40-50 years ago. Read back through the last decade of threads about the cyclo and you will see dozens and dozens of posts about the worthless POS that my dad or grandpa had and the happiest day on the farm is when it left blah blah blah...... Continue reading and it becomes known they had a 400 or 500 cyclo. Even today it is staggering the number of farmers that have no idea that the only thing a 4-500 has in common with a 800-955 is the name and the red paint. Today when I read a post about cyclo planters and someone references a 400 or 500, that tells me all I need to know about that individual's knowledge of cyclo planters. No need to read any further.

That being said, the second biggest downfall, and really the only downfall that I see of the 900 and newer cyclos, is seed spacing. They will not produce those perfect picket fence stands or space as accurately as the newer planters, red, green, white, or blue. They will however do everything else just as good and many things even better. If you keep your planter in good repair, know and understand the adjustments and how they affect seed placement you can make them space pretty darn good for what they are. Not perfect, but pretty darn good. Spacing is one thing, yield is another. I'm not going to claim my fields out yield those close to me with high dollar planters, but I don't believe their yields are any better than mine either all things equal.

Joe
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)